In the following guide, I will list some of the market’s leading CPU temperature monitors to help you monitor your PC’s thermal performance.
Monitoring your CPU is one method for determining the overall health of your system. Since the CPU handles all or nearly all operations, it is one of the components that determine the health of a computer.
While it is possible to monitor the temperature through the BIOS, other essential information, such as fan speed, core usage, and power consumption, cannot be retrieved with any precision. Instead, Internet-based third-party programs provide access to these features.
However, just a few of them will provide the most accurate CPU information. This post has compiled a list of the top CPU monitoring apps that provide accurate and essential CPU information based on the user’s needs.
8 Best CPU Temperature Monitor Software
CPU Temperature Monitor Tools For Free: Fortunately, several excellent CPU monitoring tools help you keep track of your CPU temperature. In the following article, we’ll list what we believe are the best free CPU monitor tools currently available.
The apps in the following list offer a variety of characteristics, including CPU temperature, CPU usage, fan speed, etc. However, these programs may require a considerable amount of memory. Depending on your PC’s specifications, you can use either a simple and lightweight app or a complex one that gives comprehensive system information.
Open Hardware Monitor
Open Hardware Monitor is a free, lightweight app that may be used for commercial purposes. Most CPU monitor apps, such as HWMonitor and CPU Temperature, use Open Hardware Monitor’s source code to construct apps with additional capabilities.
To get an Open Hardware Monitor for your PC,
- Simply go to Open Hardware Monitor’s official download page and tap Download Open Hardware Monitor.
- Extract the downloaded file, then open the folder.
- Run the OpenHardwareMonitor executable (.exe) file to get your CPU temperature readings.
HWMonitor features a straightforward interface that can monitor all of your system’s data. It uses Open Hardware Monitor’s source code and includes additional functions such as measuring processor voltages, CPU temperature, processor usage, and clock speed. In addition, the program has access to the S.M.A.R.T. feature.
It can obtain information on all storage devices attached to the system. It covers temperature, airflow, utilization, and velocity (read and write rates). However, unlike other apps on the list, HWMonitor does not include CPU fan control.
Downloading & installing the app is pretty simple.
- Go to the CPUID official download center, then download HWMonitor.
- When the download completes, now run the executable file and follow the installation steps.
- After the Installation is finished, run the app to get all the system details.
If we talk about the top CPU Temperature Monitoring Software For 2022, HWiNFO is an entirely separate app from HWMonitor, with no connection whatsoever. HWiNFO is a somewhat heftier app because it gives even more detailed hardware information.
This information contains CPU ID, manufacturer, code name, technology, and temperature, amongst others. In addition, HWiNFO collects information on the CPU, system memory, motherboard, video adapter, display, audio, network, and ports.
If the simplicity of HWMonitor isn’t for you, you can use HWiNFO to obtain comprehensive hardware information.
- Download HWiNFO from official HWiNFO website.
- Run the executable file; simply follow the installation process and run the App.
- Now, go to the Sensor tab.
- Scroll down to see the core temperature.
- To view the CPU’s specifications, open Central Processors and click on the CPU listed within. Here you can view the CPU’s detailed specifications.
Core Temp monitor is an additional lightweight app that provides CPU information and temperature data. The CPU details include the CPU model, platform (socket), frequency, and CPUID, among others.
In addition to temperature monitoring, it displays CPU power consumption. When reading CPU temperatures, this best best CPU monitoring software indicates that a core operates at an extreme temperature by displaying a red exclamation mark.
To monitor CPU temperature using Core Temp,
- Download Core Temp & install the app by running the executable (.exe) file.
- Simply run the app and check the Temperature Readings.
Speed fan is an excellent program for controlling the speed of your system’s fans. Additionally, the app may be used to read CPU, GPU, and storage device temperatures. In addition to displaying voltage measurements, current FAN speed, and clock information, the program provides a straightforward and easy-to-read UI.
To install the Speed fan,
- Download Speedfan, then run the executable (.exe) file.
- Once the installation is finished, run the app.
- In the readings tab, you can see all details about the PC.
RealTemp is another lightweight CPU monitoring app. It displays the minimum, and highest temperatures reached on all cores, the current temperature, and the distance to TJ maximum. To obtain RealTemp,
- Download the RealTemp zip file.
- Extract the file you just downloaded, then run the RealTemp executable file.
If your computer has a graphics card, you have likely heard of MSI Afterburner. MSI’s Afterburner is an overclocking tool with a hardware monitoring feature.
It allows you to examine core temperatures, memory clock speed, and GPU use.
Although designed by MSI, Afterburner may be installed and run on any PC, even those without an MSI component.
- Download MSI afterburner from official MSI download center.
- Install & run the app.
- The front page of MSI Afterburner has the details about the system’s GPU.
- Tap on the Monitor icon to watch Hardware Monitor.
- Here, you can see the GPU usage, GPU temp, memory clock speed, & CPU temperature.
Corsair Link 4
Corsair Link 4 is a hardware monitoring tool that, like MSI Afterburner, works on any PC without Corsair hardware. Additionally, it allows you to manage all the fans attached to the PC. However, unlike MSI Afterburner, Corsair Link 4 does not support overclocking.
- Download Corsair Link from the internet.
- Extract the downloaded file & run the executable file to install the app.
- Go to the installation location, then run CorsairLink4.
- Go to the Home tab to watch the temperature on all your cores.
Check CPU Temperature on Mac
Most apps mentioned above don’t support installation on a mac. Therefore, here are the simple steps to check CPU temperature on a Mac.
You don’t need a separate app to monitor the CPU temperature on macOS. Instead, using the Mac terminal, you can view the temperature of each CPU core.
The methods following are only applicable to Macs with an Intel processor. If your Mac contains an M1 or M2 processor, you may need more support, as no built-in feature allows you to monitor CPU temperature.
- Hit the Command + Space key, then type terminal to open Terminal.
- Simply type sudo power metrics – samplers SMC |grep -i “CPU die temperature” and hit Enter.
- Enter the admin password and hit Enter.
- CPU die temp represents real-time CPU temperature readings.
Macs Fan Control
Macs Fan Control provides temperature and fan speed monitoring in real time. Additionally, you may control fan speed. In addition, it includes a configurable fan speed preset.
- Launch the App store, then search Macs Fan Control to download Macs Fan Control.
- Tap on getting to install Macs Fan Control on your macOS.
- When the installation is complete, run the app.