Notepad++ is one of the most popular and valuable programs among web developers, coders, and programmers. Furthermore, it is one of the most incredible text editors for Windows due to its streamlined interface and crucial features such as syntax folding and support for various programming languages like SQL, Pascal, PHP, C, C++, and others. Unfortunately, Mac users do not have access to a specialized version of Notepad++. But that doesn’t rule out the possibility of utilizing those fantastic characteristics at a high execution rate. Are you curious as to how? This article will look at the Best Notepad++ Alternatives For Mac.
12 Best Notepad++ Alternatives For Mac
There are many text and code editors for Mac OS that are on par with, if not better than, Notepad++. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at them.
BBEdit is a powerful text editor for Mac users, with easy-to-use features for finding, editing, and modifying textual data and source code. Software professionals and web designers choose Notepad++ because it allows them to work with multiple programming languages in one spot.
- The user interface is amicable.
- HTML markup tools that are powerful.
- Multiple programming languages are supported.
- Syntax Coloring, Code Folding, and other valuable features.
- Updates are inconsistent.
2. Nova 3
Nova 3 is a dedicated app that assists in creating text-based documents and structures. The Notepad++ alternative has a lot of searches and replaces features, syntax coloring tools, and FTP/SFTP support. The functionality is crammed into a simple interface, making it ideal for both novice and advanced users.
- The dashboard is intuitive and straightforward.
- Text manipulation capabilities are extensive.
- Syntax coloring schemes are simple to use.
- Set up complex find and replace rules.
- Slow with large files.
- The Live Preview option is quite helpful.
- Alternative to Notepad++ that is open-source.
- On earlier Macs, lightweight programs can be executed.
- Provides all of the tools that web developers require.
- It takes a long time to get a business off the ground.
Atom, a Mac-only alternative to Notepad++, is next on our list of Best Notepad++ Alternatives. It is a plain and simple text and source code editor, making it one of the most popular among professionals. In addition, the tool comes with attractive syntax themes and allows you to adjust the entire appearance and feel to your own.
- With almost no scaling concerns, it supports HiDPI.
- Regularly receives updates.
- The Package Manager has a long list of packages.
- Allows you to hack into the core of the game.
- Memory use is high.
MacVim is a highly flexible text editor for Mac users that is available for free and can be used on various platforms. It, unlike the majority of Notepad++ competitors, allows you to open several windows with tabbed editing. There’s also a full-screen mode, an ODB editor, and multibyte editing.
- Standard OS X keyboard shortcuts are bound.
- Transparent backdrops are available.
- Drag and drop actions are supported.
- Syntax highlighting is supported.
- It’s not meant to be a WYSIWYG editor.
6. Sublime Text
Sublime Text, designed and developed by Microsoft, is an excellent Notepad++ replacement for Mac users. It comes with a lot of documentation and many extensions to help you enhance it. For example, the software has an interactive console that you may use to debug code right in the editor. In addition, Sublime Text allows you to sync your code between the editor and the server without installing any additional software.
- Better file management.
- Highly responsive and compatible with all major operating systems.
- Despite being lightweight, it offers a large number of IDE features.
- The quickest start-up and coding.
- Toolbar is missing, which is essential for simple access.
jEdit is a powerful text and source code editor for the Mac. The program is free and comes with pre-mapped shortcuts for quick coding. It even has a marker feature that allows you to return to a previously noted location swiftly. It also has an excellent clipboard, enabling you to copy many lines of code.
- Numerous extensions have a lot of support.
- While using jEdit, you can learn a lot about programming.
- With over 150 language modes, syntax highlighting is supported.
- Alternative to Notepad++ that can be customized to meet the user’s demands.
- Dependable on Java.
SlickEdit is an award-winning and one of the best Notepad++ Alternatives created by developers for developers working on Macs. Advanced code editing features and a plethora of graphical project tools are included in the app. It also comes with a specialized command palette and the ability to handle multiple projects, symbols, classes, and files.
- Most programming languages are highly compatible with it.
- Files can be easily debugged and compiled.
- To find the exact location of the mistake, click the Error button.
- Supports a total of nine platforms.
- When working on massive projects, there are lags.
9. Komodo Edit
Komodo Edit is the next app in our list of Best Notepad++ Substitutes for Mac users. The code editor comes with a lovely dashboard that makes it simple to keep track of your projects. It also enables users to write code in several other computer languages. It even comes with a lot of documentation to help with the overall workflow.
- To run files, use custom commands.
- To keep track of changes, use an advanced editor.
- Python, Ruby, and other programming languages are supported.
- Checking the syntax.
- Updates are inconsistent.
10. Coda 2
Coda 2 is unquestionably the best Notepad++ alternative on our best 12 Notepad++ Alternatives list. It’s a simple open-source text editor with an automation tool for completing tasks quickly. It has visual tabs and syntax coloring choices to make coding a breeze. In addition, Coda 2 comes with many add-ons that will help you increase your overall productivity.
- Live Side-by-Side Preview is a powerful tool.
- A smartphone preview is also available.
- There are numerous plugin alternatives available.
- All-in-one table and writing surface.
- Little technical knowledge is required.
11. Visual Studio Code
You’d assume that a product produced by Apple’s arch-rival Microsoft would perform poorly on macOS, if at all. But, unexpectedly, Visual Studio Code is one of the best text editors available for Mac. It supports syntax highlighting for over 30 languages, keyboard-centric and code-focused editing, a lightning-fast source code editor, Regex support, outlining, autocomplete with IntelliSense, real-time API description, and Git control among other features.
Is Notepad++ Compatible With Mac?
Unfortunately, a Mac-specific version of Notepad++ is not available. You can, however, use the aforementioned text editors and code manipulation software to complete the task.
What Notepad++ Alternatives Do I Have?
Atom, Sublime Text, Coda 2, and Komodo Edit are excellent Notepad++ Alternatives.
On A Mac, Which Text Editor Should I Use For Python?
For Python on the Mac, Sublime Text and MacVim are the best options.
Conclusion: Notepad++ Alternatives for Mac
This finishes our list of the best 12 Notepad++ alternatives for Mac users. As we constantly say, there is no such thing as the finest software for your needs. That’s why we suggest trying out a few of the text editors on this list and picking the best one for you. Because most of these provide a free trial period, it will be simple for you to try them out before making a final decision. If you don’t want to waste time looking for the best text editing and manipulation software, we propose BBEdit & Brackets!