Screencasting is the process of recording your Mac’s desktop and adding custom sounds. It’s mainly used to make tutorial videos, but it’s also utilized by YouTubers who wish to record themselves commenting on or clarifying what’s on the screen. Many apps can assist you with this, and they all have their own set of functions. First, let’s take a look at the finest macOS screencast software.
10 Best Screencast Software For Mac
Screencast Software For Mac, you can try.
Open Broadcaster Software, an open-source and free tool, is the first on our list of free screencasting software for macOS. Users can record screen videos as well as live streams. Other capabilities include Scene Composition, Broadcasting, and Real-Time Captures. It’s simple to use and can capture audio from various sources, making it one of the finest screencast software for Mac.
- Lanczos3 and bilinear resampling are enabled.
- The recordings can be saved as MLV or MP4 files.
- Encoded with AAC and H264.
Monosnap is another free screencasting app for Mac that may help you create and upload high-quality screenshots to a cloud server. It is simple to use and features a user-friendly interface.
- Allows users to utilize an arrow or other shape to draw attention to critical features on the screen.
- Allows users to upload screenshots easily.
- Users can capture the entire screen or just a portion of it
Apple’s built-in app, QuickTime, is the next free screencast recorder for macOS, and it comes preloaded on all macOS machines. Panorama photos, picture sounds, high-quality, and digital videos are all supported by this app. This program’s on-screen controls are similar to those of a DVD player. It’s most commonly used as a video content viewer that can also broadcast live material.
- The user interface is intuitive and straightforward.
- There are only a few video editing options.
- Modules are incorporated into the program’s establishment.
Moving further, we have Loom, which is a free screencast recorder for macOS that comes with paid versions for advanced users. Screen and camera recordings are supported in the free version, which has a 480p resolution. It allows users to leave comments and opinions on the videos and provide feedback. It’s accessible for Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, and Android, with an Android version in the works, making it one of the finest screencast software macOS.
- Make thumbnail GIFs of your video.
- It’s available as a Chrome addon.
- Videos are password-protected.
5. Free Screencast
Free Screencast, which was created in 2005, is the latest free screencasting software for macOS on the list. This app includes several valuable capabilities, including recording the entire screen or just a portion of it. This program can also record audio from various sources, including microphones, line audio mixers, and other input devices.
- You can also use a Webcam or IP camera to record video.
- Users can edit movies, apply filters, add text and picture overlays, and more.
- When you’re not around, set up recordings.
Let’s start our selection of the top screencast software for Mac (paid) with Camtasia, one of the most popular options. This app appears to have all the tools necessary to record the screen and later edit the video. The Users can select to record the entire screen, a portion of the screen, or both simultaneously, and record audio from the system or a separate microphone attached.
The recording session can be paused and resumed at any moment. The audio streams can be captured separately and afterward manipulated and mixed with any video clip. Trimming, combining, and splitting video clips are examples of video editing. It also comes with a library of diverse assets, such as icons, motion graphics, and music tracks, imported into the video clip. A green screen option is also available, allowing viewers to change the video background.
- Make your video interactive by including hotspots and quizzes.
- MP4, EVI, and GIF formats are available for video storage.
- The Cloud storage services such as Google Drive and Dropbox are supported.
- The cost of two machines is $249.
- There is a free trial version available.
If you’re seeking a screencasting program for Mac that includes video editing and enhancement tools, ScreenFlow is the answer. This program has essential capabilities, such as mixing videos, webcam feeds, and microphone audio. Its editing features set it distinct from the rest of the apps on this list. Allowing the user to impose many layers within one movie is one of the most significant features of editing.
Extraordinary zooming capabilities and annotation choices with transition effects are among the other upgrade features. On the screen, you can apply a variety of video and audio effects. It also has a Stock Media Library with over half a million photos, audio clips, and video clips for its users.
- Videos can be exported as MP4, Prores, and GIFs.
- Publish your movies to Wistia, Vimeo, and YouTube directly from the app.
- Make tutorials that are of professional quality.
- Price: $129 for a one-time purchase and $46 for an extra purchase of the Stock Media Library.
- There is a free trial version available.
Moving further, we have Screencast-O-Matic, a great screencasting app for macOS. It allows users to capture the screen and add a webcam simultaneously. System sounds and user narration choices are included in the audio input. Importing a screenplay and dividing it into different portions, then adding each section separately to a screen recorder, was one of the unique features.
This app uses a green screen effect to remove the background from your movies. In terms of audio, it can distinguish and identify quiet automatically. It runs on all major operating systems, including iOS, Android, and Windows.
- Anyone without training can use it because it is simple to use.
- Draw arrows, shapes, and freehand drawings as design elements.
- Use transitions and other overlay effects to provide visual interest.
- Price: $18 per year for the Basic Plan and $48 per year for the Premier Plan.
- There is a limited recording version available as a trial version.
Screencastify, a Google Chrome browser extension rather than a separate app, is the next product on our list of the best screencast software for macOS. However, this app differs from free extensions in that it may record the entire screen instead of just the contents of the browser window, as free extensions do. Cropping, cutting, focussing the mouse pointer, and other basic editing features are available. If you want to build lessons or training movies, this can be a problem because you’ll need a lot of customizations like pointers, arrows, and so on.
Users can export their movies to MP4 and post them to Google Drive without saving them to their hard drive. There are two versions: a freemium version with a watermark and a paid version without a watermark that allows users to edit their movies before saving them. In addition, you can use it to make simple videos for a variety of apps.
- Extension that is both lightweight and resource-friendly
- With a straightforward UI, it’s simple to use.
- Create an MP4 file and save it to your Google Drive.
- The cost is $24 per year.
- Trial Version: The free version can only record for ten minutes.
10. Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is the final commercial screencasting tool for macOS, and it has practically all of the functionality that a screencast app should have. It allows users to change the video playback speed and cut the movie’s length—crop videos focusing on the zoom-in and zoom-out functionality. In addition, a specific drawing toolbar is offered to help you improve your essential movies. Using this toolbar, users can use a paintbrush to add text, simple shapes, or creative artwork to their video screen. Other basic video and audio effects, as well as transitions, can be used.
Although the production quality supplied by this app is relatively low, it allows for the export of the result in various formats. In addition, there are no limits to the movie’s length you can make, and it’s simple to use.
- Straightforward and user-friendly interface.
- In comparison to others, there are fewer features.
- It runs on Windows, Android, and, of course, Mac OS X.
- One-time fee of $29.95.
- A trial version is available that allows for 5 minutes of video-only viewing.
Final Word: Screencast Software For Mac
The apps listed above are the finest free screencast recorders for macOS that can be utilized without breaking the bank. However, these apps will get the job done on a basic level, whereas OBS apps will offer extensive functionality. The lack of advanced functionality is because these programs are free and do not include the advanced capabilities found in commercial versions.